Our History

Ransom Memorial Hospital began operation in the spring of 1931 through a generous gift by Mr. & Mrs. A.L. Cook and matched with money raised by the community. The small, two‐story building was staffed by eleven employees that practiced personalized, family‐oriented medical care. In 1954, funds were raised and a new wing was added to the southeast corner of the facility, opening in 1956. Expansion continued in 1968 when a third floor was added to the southeast wing and again in 1974 when the west wing was built.

For the next 15 years the hospital did not take on any major renovations or expansion projects. In 1990 the south half of the original and first addition wing were torn down and replaced with a new building, opening in December of 1991. The remaining north half was removed in 1992.

A stroll through the main hallway of the new building today, speaks to the legacy of yesterday. Portraits of those dedicated individuals who served this community and retired their practices in Ottawa are available for viewing. Take a moment to visit this celebration of our medical past.


A generous gift from Mr. and Mrs. A.L. Cook and was matched with money raised by the community helped RMH open its doors, a small, two story building, with a full staff of 11 employees.


A new wing was added to the south east corner of the original building. This renovation opened in 1956.


Expansion continued when a third floor was added to the southeast wing.


A new building was added to the hospital campus. The building housed patient units, a laboratory, radiology department, and an emergency department.


The original hospital was no longer practical for patient care needs and was demolished.


An outpatient and surgical wing were added to the “new” building built in 1973.


A renovation of the Emergency Department took place adding an additional emergency room and a triage room, as well as changing the entrance and look of the waiting room.


RMH expanded services to Wellsville with the opening of Wellsville Family Medical Clinic


Baldwin Medical Clinic was opened.


Construction began on a new Family Birth Place and four new surgery suites as well as renovations to the in-patient unit and new ICU.


Express Care Clinic was opened.


The Raymond & Marguerite Gibson Medical Arts Building was opened to provide RMH with an additional, modern healthcare facility.


RMH Cancer Care (a collaboration between Ransom Memorial Hospital and Lawrence Memorial Hospital) was opened to provide local access to quality cancer care.

A beautifully renovated space allowed for the opening of the Surgical Clinic of Ottawa and Women’s Health of Ottawa. A Southeast entrance with parking was established.


Grand opening of the new Emergency Department. The 16,000 square foot addition to the northwest corner of the Emergency Department features 12 treatment rooms with the ability to flex up to 14 exam rooms, which includes two critical care treatment rooms and two trauma rooms.