BUILDING CONFIDENCE, REDUCING FALLS
No classes are scheduled at this time. Please check back later.
Time: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Location: East Central Kansas Area Agency on Aging (Meeting Room),
117 S. Main St., Ottawa, KS 66067
No charge for this workshop
Cindy Casey AEMT/IC
Community Education/Paramedicine Coordinator
Franklin County EMS
Stephanie Anderson RN, BSN
Clinical Nurse Educator
Ransom Memorial Health
Class contents include
- Simple and fun balance and strength training
- The role vision plays in keeping your balance
- How medications can contribute to falls
- Ways to keep from falling when out in your community
- What to look for in safe footwear
- How to eliminate fall hazards from your home
Is this workshop for you?
Stepping On is a program that has been researched and is proven to reduce falls in older people, specifically anyone who:
- Is 65 or older
- Has had a fall in the past year
- Is fearful of falling
- Lives at home
- Does not have dementia
20% – 30% of people who fall suffer moderate to severe injuries. These injuries can make it difficult to move around or live an independent life.
One third of those 65 years or older fall each year.
Those who fall are two to three times more likely to fall again.
Here’s what a workshop participant had to say:
“When I’m walking I still think, ‘lift your feet, walk heel-to-toe.’ I have stopped falling outside! It has made me more aware of the way I walk.”